Was asked to create a simple Service that uses LAME to encode WAVs (or AIFFs, too, I guess) into 320 MP3s, using Automator.
Here’s the solution for those of you that don’t feel like going through the rigmarole that I just did — of trying a few methods and then finding 3 methods online that no longer work and then finding the fourth method that did work.
Objective: A Service, available in Finder, that takes your selected files and encodes them as MP3s at V0 320kbps, and places them in the folder.
- Start up Automator
- Select New Service
- “Service receives selected” “Audio files” in “Finder.app”
- Add a “Run Shell Script”
- Switch Pass input to “as arguments”
- input all this:
for f in “$@”
/usr/local/bin/lame -q 0 -b 320 “$f”
- Add Display Notification and write according to your needs, for instance, something like:
- Title: “WAV to 320 MP3″
- Message: “Conversion complete.”
- Click Save and choose your easy-to-remember filename such as 320mp3
- Go into Finder, select a few WAVs and right-click (ctrl-click) on them, select Services->320mp3